Sunday, August 9, 2009

Time Off Blog to Start a New Job

One of the benefits of researching job opportunities was when I found out about an opportunity that was just too good to pass up applying for. After four interviews (three formal and one informal) I was offered the job. It was good to go through the process again as it reminded me of things I hadn’t thought about in a while.

1. The best way to get your foot in the door is through a personal invitation. Even though several people told me about the position and encouraged me to apply, what actually got me on the short list to be interviewed was when someone made a call to a friend and said, “You need to look at this resume.” TAKE AWAY: Make a personal positive impression on someone who works there or on someone who knows someone who does -- and use social media to research who you know who might know someone at the hiring organization.

2. Companies really only care about what you can do for them. Your skills, your experiences, and your history are only important as they relate to the hiring organization. TAKE AWAY: The fact that you have traveled the world is not that interesting unless it means you speak a foreign language (relevant to their customers) or that you are flexible enough to live out of a suitcase if or when the position ever calls for it.

3. Degrees are great but smarts are better. There are a lot of people with formal education who can’t actually think themselves out of a box. If the job requires an advanced degree, don’t lie. That can backfire, including with termination if you do get the job. TAKE AWAY: If you can demonstrate your creativity and intelligence in a meaningful way during an interview series, the actual degrees you hold may not be as critical.

4. Give them something to brag about. If you are their top choice, and they write up an announcement to staff, what about your background or skill set is going to make the staff feel impressed that the company they work for found and hired you? TAKE AWAY: If you can figure out what would make you a great new hire, be sure to add that in your cover letter and emphasize it in your interviews.

As the new Director of Marketing for Yakima Regional Medical & Cardiac Center in Central Washington, I have been quite swamped with my position. I’ve been working anywhere from nine to 16 hours a day (although the 16 was only once.) Some weeks breeze by, and others offer challenges hourly. But at the end of six weeks, I can honestly say I absolutely love the job; I love the people and I’m so proud of the organization. I’ve been fortunate to have some pretty terrific jobs in my life; this one might just turn out to be my best one yet.

To purchase a copy of Creating Job Security, The 2009 All-In-One Workbook, for $30 tax and shipping included, visit www.graduategroup.com. Creating Job Security Resource Guide, with more than 100 job resources, is available at Amazon.com for $8.95.

No comments: